(636) 240-4739 / Family Run Business since 1961

Have You Been Capped ?

hvac-icon-010-1

 

Quality Appliance Service Inc

Your HVAC Specialist

mike

We are talking about your gas furnace and water heater.

 

 

Gas furnaces are essential for heating many homes, providing comfort and warmth during the colder months. However, it’s crucial to remember that they also pose certain risks if not properly installed and maintained. One often overlooked aspect of gas furnace safety is the correct installation of the roof cap or flue vent on top of the house. This component plays a vital role in ensuring that the furnace and water heater can safely expel exhaust gases, including carbon monoxide, outside the home.

Did you get a new roof?

In some cases, homeowners have encountered issues where roof installers may not fully understand the importance of correctly positioning the flue cap. When this cap is pushed too far down, it can obstruct the proper venting of combustion gases, potentially leading to a dangerous situation. Carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas, can accumulate in the home, causing carbon monoxide poisoning. This condition is not only detrimental to health but can also be fatal if left unaddressed. So the question is have you been capped?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can manifest with a range of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. If you or your family members experience any of these symptoms and suspect a problem with your gas furnace, it’s crucial to act swiftly and cautiously.

Here’s a step-by-step plan for addressing a potential gas furnace issue:

  • Prioritize Safety: If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, prioritize your family’s safety by immediately evacuating your home. Call 911 or your local emergency services to report the situation.
  • Ventilate Your Home: Open doors and windows to allow fresh air into your home, helping to dissipate any carbon monoxide buildup.
  • Turn Off the Gas Furnace: To prevent further emissions of carbon monoxide, shut off the gas furnace and any other gas appliances in your home.
  • Seek Professional Assistance: Contact a licensed and insured HVAC professional to inspect and repair the issue. Never attempt to fix a gas furnace problem on your own, as it can be dangerous.
  • Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Ensure your home is equipped with carbon monoxide detectors on every level, especially near sleeping areas. Regularly test them and replace batteries as needed to maintain their effectiveness.
  • Schedule Regular Maintenance: Make it a priority to schedule annual inspections and maintenance for your gas furnace. Regular service can identify and address potential issues before they become hazardous.
  • Know the Symptoms: Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, as mentioned earlier. If anyone experiences these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

 

For more information Call, Quality Appliance Service Inc  636-240-4739